Blogging will be light for the next two weeks. Practically nil. But keep watching Vladimir Vladimirovich and other shady characters, please!
09 March 2014
This article was written by Roman Romanenko, a Russian journalist for Moscow's Echo*. Follows a Google translation, with a slight nudge or two from me.
Our address to V.V. Putin.
Dear Vladimir Vladimirovich,
We've learned that you want to send troops to the Crimea, to protect the rights of Russian-speaking population.
In this regard, we have a big request - to send troops to the Vologda. We're almost all Russian-speaking here and our very rights are infringed. Our sick can not get the drugs and treatment they need, the level of our education falls every year, kindergartens and children's enrichment sections are closing, agriculture is virtually destroyed. We all suffer.
And the usurpers, who seized power in fraudulent elections, do nothing for the subject population. They spend the money on themselves, on their PR, their offices, country houses, purchase of apartments and air charters.
We'll be very grateful and guarantee that there will be no guerrilla war against the liberators. Yes, and international sanctions, for sure, will not follow.
We have learned that you are going to spend a lot of money to normalize life in the Crimea. It is a bit embarrassing, but we have to ask whether it is possible to spend the money on the normalization of life in the Vologda. Because we are in such a debt hole that there is no money for anything. And we really need bridges, roads, sports facilities, industrial parks, new jobs ...
With respect and hope for liberation, Russian-speaking residents of the Vologda region.
By now, you may have already realized that this is (kind of) a spoof, because Vologda is one of the central provinces of Russia (click on the map below to embiggen).
However, while the request for troops is a sham, all the rest is not. Unfortunately.
(*) And the article may easily fall under the new draconian censorship law.
P.S. Citizen of Tver province came out with a similar call to Putin. No time for translation, but the idea is identical.
08 March 2014
According to this. And I, for once, find myself in total agreement with the lady.
And in general, "you are not Hitler" could be a great conversation starter. Imagine using that on your friends:
- - Hey, Jim, you are no Hitler.
- - How do, Bob, you are totally unlike Hitler today.
- - Morning, Tanya, you are not Hitler for sure, although I wanted to discuss with you that mustache for quite some time...
Dear Ms ...
Please keep in mind that if you die a virgin, you will end up in the section of paradise allocated to Muslim martyrs.
- *First place with 2 2/3 votes! Joshuapundit–The Ukraine Folk Dance And What It Really Means
- Second place *t* with 2 1/3 votes Bookworm Room–A story showing everything that’s wrong with bureaucracies: rules have replaced morals and human decency
- Third place with 2 votes –The Right Planet – So You Want a Con-Con, Huh?
- Fourth place with 1 2/3 vote – The Independent Sentinel – The Government Is Using Covert Operatives to Manipulate and Destroy People on the Internet
- Fourth place *t* with 1 1/3 votes –The Noisy Room – The Clear And Present Danger of Russian Expansionism
- Fourth place *t* with 1 1/3 votes –The Razor – Class is In Session for Obama
- Fifth place with 1 vote –Simply Jews – Western world and Ukraine: peacemakers for bandits?
- Sixth place *t* with 2/3 vote –VA Right! - What the Obamacare Numbers are NOT Telling Us – How Many Policies Have Been Bound?
- Sixth place *t* with 2/3 vote – Nice Deb – Spoiler Alert: New Liam Neesan Movie “Non-Stop” Is anti-American Garbage – NYC Audience Groaned When Villain Revealed
- Sixth place *t* with 2/3 vote –Ask Marion – Did Sarah Palin Predict Russia Invading Ukraine If Obama Got Elected?…
- Seventh place *t* with 2/3 vote –The Glittering Eye -The Stupidest Advice
- Seventh place *t* with 2/3 vote –Liberty’s Spirit – Bibi Needs to Keep the Ukraine in Mind this Week
07 March 2014
Which one wins? Guess. Nah, don't bother.
"How is our Alaska doing there?", says the caption.
P.S. 1.4% of Alaskan population is Russian. And every single one in dire need of protection...
I have read the CNN article Israel intercepts ship with weapons headed to Gaza before stumbling on BBC Watch post BBC employs smoke and mirrors in report on Iranian weapons smuggling ship. After reading the latter, I remembered the former and got back to check it out again in the light what the BBC Watch writer said.
Guess what: same difference. I would even dare say that the liberal (no pun intended) use of quotation marks by CNN somewhat overtakes that by BBC.
All is left to be grateful for is that they don't yet use quotation marks in word combinations like Israel Defense Forces, Israeli navy, Israeli Prime Minister. Just imagine:
- "Israel" "Defence" "Forces"
- "Israeli" "Navy"
- "Israeli" "Prime Minister"
I wanted to say that reading an article in Izvestia, I felt the smell of sulfur. But no, upon second thought. It was rather a curious mix of sulfur, burning fragrance candles (or whatever Inquisitors used at the time) and poorly cured leather of Soviet jackboots, NKVD issue.
OK, enough lyrical asides, here comes a quick and dirty translation of the first two paragraphs from that article, titled Anti-Russian articles by journalists will be considered a crime against the state.
State Duma member Yevgeny Fyodorov ("United Russia") is preparing a draft law on amendments to the Administrative and Criminal Code of the Russian Federation, as well as amendments to the laws against terrorism and extremism. According to the author of the amendments, the purpose of the amendments is to establish administrative and criminal liability for media executives, "which allow publication of false anti-Russian information, provide information and support to extremist and separatist anti-Russian forces, including the coverage of events beyond the borders of Russia."Now, my dear reader, what do you smell?
The reason for the introduction of the bill is multiple publications in the Russian media, in which the authors, according to the MP, used incorrect historical analogies and interpretation of events in Russia and the Ukraine coup.
06 March 2014
said the president.
Oh my, oh my... we do learn on the job, after all. So why is the third term in White House out of the question? When Putin gobbles up California, some excuses could be found, but Illinois... nah, the POTUS wouldn't stand for it.
I am pretty sure, that is.
I don't want to connect the dots, but the timing of these two failed attempts to lend a helping hand to Hamas is speaking for itself. You be the judge.
First of all, the IDF naval commandos from Shayetet 13 had a successful fishing trip in the Red Sea: an Iranian arms shipment headed for the Gaza Strip.
(The soldier whose feet got in the frame should be chastised by his sergeant anyway, re the deplorable state of his shoes, what with CNN watching like an eagle...)
And, on the other side of Gaza, in Egypt, the chicken-brained founder of Code Pink, one Medea Benjamin "had spent a day in a cold Egyptian jail pen" (according to her) and had her arm broken (according to her), both acts committed before she was sent away.
(As a totally unrelated remark: I would vastly prefer to handle these Syrian/Iranian missiles in any quantity than to deal with this raving lunatic, so my sincere sympathy to the Egyptian security folks who had that pleasure).
So there: we report, you decide...
I don't know whether many of you remember the fiery police chief and his stated intention to arrest all of the Israeli population in that mystery of Mahmoud al-Mabhouh, the hapless Hamas operative and his wondrous death, caused simultaneously by suffocation, electrocution, two different ways of poisoning, tasering and unbridled wild sex. Not to mention the preliminary torture (self-torture?).
Anyhow, the whole story and its amazing twists, turns and zigzags could be explained anew in the light of the latest news coming from Dubai.
Dubai police claimed Lebanese terror group Hezbollah was behind a Monday bombing in the outskirts of Bahrain’s capital Manama that resulted in the deaths of three policemen, one of them an officer from the United Arab Emirates deployed to help bolster security in the tiny island kingdom. According to Dubai police chief Dahi Khalfan Tamim, the culprit behind the attack had traveled to Lebanon several times over the past years and had been trained by Hezbollah operatives.So, it is obvious now to an untrained eye of a news reader that Mr Tamim didn't really intend to find the culprits in that old case, deliberately sowing misleading information and making ridiculous statements twice a day. While all the time doing solid police (and Mossad too) work, uncovering the mayhem caused by Hezbollah and similar.
Nice to know. And more power to Dubai police chief Dahi Khalfan Tamim!
A great slap on the face of the Mastermind of the Century. And kudos to Nick.
- Liberty’s Spirit – Bibi Needs to Keep the Ukraine in Mind this Week
- The Noisy Room – The Clear And Present Danger of Russian Expansionism
- Joshuapundit-The Ukraine Folk Dance And What It Really Means
- Ask Marion – Did Sarah Palin Predict Russia Invading Ukraine If Obama Got Elected?…
- Simply Jews – Western world and Ukraine: peacemakers for bandits?
- The Razor – Class is In Session for Obama
- GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD – How Realism Failed with Russia
- VA Right! - What the Obamacare Numbers are NOT Telling Us – How Many Policies Have Been Bound?
- The Right Planet – So You Want a Con-Con, Huh?
- Bookworm Room – A story showing everything that’s wrong with bureaucracies: rules have replaced morals and human decency
- The Independent Sentinel – The Government Is Using Covert Operatives to Manipulate and Destroy People on the Internet
- Nice Deb – Spoiler Alert: New Liam Neesan Movie “Non-Stop” Is anti-American Garbage – NYC Audience Groaned When Villain Revealed
- Rhymes With Right – Proposed Resolutions For Republican Precinct Conventions
- The Glittering Eye -The Stupidest Advice
- The Colossus of Rhodey – If She Wins, The Country Is Already Down The Tubes
- The Mellow Jihadi – Irving Milchberg Sep 15 1927 ~ January 26 2014
- The Pirate’s Cove – A Pause In Warming Doesn’t Disprove Human Caused Hotcoldwetdry Or Something
- Victory Girls – A Message to the Patriots in Connecticut
- The Lonely Conservative – Ezekial Emanuel Is Really Looking Forward To The Demise Of Insurance Companies
05 March 2014
Because all you have heard and seen before is an optical illusion. So say Putin and Lavrov.
On Tuesday, Russian President Vladimir Putin claimed that none of Russia’s forces have moved into the Crimean Peninsula, drawing a stunned reaction from Kerry.Move along, ladies and gentlemen, nothing to see here. Case closed.
Lavrov reiterated Putin’s claims on Wednesday. Asked if Russia could order the troops in the Crimea region back to their bases, Lavrov told a reporter in Madrid: “If you mean the self-defense units created by the inhabitants of Crimea, we give them no orders, they take no orders from us,” according to Reuters.
P.S. "Inhabitants"? Did he mean "natives"? Or "aborigines"?